Arché is a laboratory of professional activities, a space for thinking and creative development, intending to provide tools to new film projects, as well as moments of reflection and training thus fostering and ensuring projects’ identity and quality.
Organized by Apordoc – Associação pelo Documentário and taking place in the scope of Nebulae, the industry programme of Doclisboa – International Film Festival, Arché has the support of Ibermedia Programme, and targests directors, producers, film critics and researchers as well as other film professionals.
Arché’s key aims are
- To provide a space of deep reflexion on film projects and its different stages of production, contributing to its quality and thus its future career;
- To ensure that the work on the participating projects is free from immediate financial and logistical objectives, while directly focusing in the reflection on the creative process in terms of directing and production;
- To encourage the creation of collaborative networks between different projects and production structures, allowing the collaboration between independent structures, thus ensuring the identity of the participating projects;
- To provide a means of contact with international agents of high quality in an atmosphere of an in-depth work;
- The creation of a market model focused on projects and auteurs, approaching the production process mainly as an authorial project;
- To contribute to the integration of Portuguese authors and producers in international networks, granting access to the most important problematics, temathics and terminologies;
- To foster the proximity between film production and film criticism and research, thus creating a shared space between the two fields.
Arché consists of the following activities
- Project Development Workshops:
Arché workshops target projects in different stages of development and production. They aim at providing projects in the writing and development stages with the necessary tools to explore the subject and reflect upon the strategies to implement in the film. On the other hand, they include viewing footage and/or working versions in the case of projects in the editing stage or first cuts. Participants will work collectively in the workshops, with the different projects sharing experiences, in order to question and enhance each of them.
- Pitching and One-to-one Meetings:
Participants pitch their projects in 10 minutes presentations to industry guests. Producers, programmers, sales agents and other professionals attending Doclisboa will be invited. On the afternoon, a series of dynamic meetings between participants and industry guests will take place.
Arché is exclusive to directors from Ibero-American countries and Italy with projects in writing and development stage and editing and post-production stages.
In 2020, Arché will take place between October 22nd and November 6th.
This Film Is About Me, by Alexis Delgado, La Vida en Común, by Ezequiel Yanco, Campo, by Tiago Hespanha or The Metamorphosis of Birds, by Catarina Vasconcelos, premiered in the section Encounters of Berlinale 2020, are among the films that participated in former editions of Arché since its creation in 2015.