In partnership with Spanish film festival Márgenes and with the support of the Ibermedia Programme, Arché presents a new project: RAW: Residencies Arché→Work. RAW is a five-week itinerant programme that includes the participation in Arché, an artistic residency in Lisbon and the participation in MRG//Work, Márgenes Film Festival’s creative development lab.
RAW are divided into the 2 following categories
- Creation Residencies:
Aimed at emerging directors and producers from one of the Ibermedia Programme member countries with an audiovisual project in development. Priority will be given to innovative, coherent and relevant proposals in the contemporary scene.
This programme consists of the participation in Arché (October 22nd – November 1st), an artistic residency in Lisbon (November 2nd- 19th) and the participation in MRG//Work (November 20th – 29th).
- Film Criticism and Research Residencies:
This program is aimed at young critics and researchers from one of the Ibermedia Programme member countries, whose object of study is related to the non-fiction cinematic practice, with a focus on Portuguese, Spanish and Latin American audiovisual production. This programme aims to promote the creation of content and knowledge in order to foster the dialogue between research and contemporary filmmaking practices.
This programme includes the participation of the first part of a Film Criticism and Research Workshop taking place in Arché (October 22nd – November 1st), an artistic residency in Lisbon (November 2nd- 19th) and the second part of the Worksop taking place in MRG//Work (November 20nd – 29th).
- RAW is a training and development programme born out of the partnership between Arché (Apordoc) and MRG//Work (Festival Márgenes) with the support of Ibermedia Programme.
- RAW is a five-weeks itinerant programme consisisting in a series of activities including Arché lab, artistic residencies and MRG//Worklab.
- RAW aims to create a space of deep reflection and development, establishing Lisbon-Madrid axis into service of a plural and independent film industry of non-fiction film, encouraging co-productions between Ibermedia countries and strengthening the partnership between Arché and MRG//Work. It focuses mainly on independent projects, giving priority to young filmmakers and producers and unique, innovative, consistent and relevant projects in the contemporary landscape. It is also dedicated to the training of non-fiction film researchers and critics.
- In 2020, activities take place in the following dates:
- October 22nd – November 1st: Arché (in the context of Doclisboa, Lisbon)
- November 2nd — 19th: Artisitic Residencies (Lisbon)
- November 20th – 29th: MRG//Work (Madrid)
- The programme consists of project development workshops and joint meetings, work sessions, individual tutorships, masterclasses and round tables, a research and film criticism workshop and artistic residencies.
- RAW is dedicated to film projects that encompass a strong implication in the domain of the real – projects able to experiment the potential and boundaries of its documental matrix and to young critics and researchers focusing on Ibero-American cinema.
- RAW is exclusively targeted to authors from one of the Ibermedia Programme member countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Spain, Guatemala, Honduras, Italy, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Uruguay and Venezuela.
- An annual call for entries will be announced on the website www.arche-space.org and www.margenes.org.
- Registration is free of charge.
- Travel expenses must be covered by the participants.
- With the support of the Ibermedia Programme, participants will be granted a participation fellowship. Each project will be granted only one fellowship which covers the following expenses:
RAW Fellowships (creation and criticism residencies):
- accomodation and artistic residency in Lisbon, in one of Arché partners (October 22nd – November 19th);
- access to Arché and all its activities;
- access to Doclisboa and Nebulae, festival’s industry programme;
- access to Doclisboa’s dinner lounge, from October 22nd to the 31st;
- flight Lisbon-Madrid;
- accomodation in Madrid in one of Márgenes partners (from November 19th to the 29th);
- access to MRG//Work and all its activities;
- access to Márgenes festival.
- In 2020,applications are open between April 1st and June 1st (23:59 GMT+1).
- Submission implies sending the materials as defined in the call. Applications not complying with the requirements will not be considered.
- Applicants agree to be available to participate in RAW, on the indicated dates.
- The selection of the participating projects will be made by the project coordinators and tutors. Also, if considered relevant, the coordinators will summon up relevant professionals from the sector. For the final selection, videoconference interviews will be scheduled with applicants.
- Selected candidates will be informed by e-mail up to a month before the festival. This information will be under embargo until the official announcement to be made by the organizers. The selection will be announced on the website www.arche-space.org and www.margenes.org.
- Participants will authorise the publication of the provided information and materials in the official cataloguewebsite and other plataforms, as well as other promotional materials, with the exception of confidential data.
- Selected participants agree to cover a medical and travel insurance.
- Directors and producers of the selected projects agree to use the official logotype in its credits and promotional materials.
- In the case of Arché and/or MRG//Work awards winners, participants must also mention the award in the credits.
- The submission of a project implies the knowledge and acceptance of these regulations.
- The organization will decide on all matters not covered by these regulations.
To read the Regulations in Spanish, please see the Regulations at Márgenes Film Festival website here.
Call for projects is now open for the next editions of RAW: Residencies Arché->Work. In 2020, activities will take place in the following dates:
22 de Outubro – 1 de Novembro: Arché (in the context of Doclisboa, Lisbon)
2 a 19 de Novembro: Artisitic Residencies
20 a 29 de Novembro: MRG//Work (Madrid)
RAW is exclusive to authors from ibermedia countries (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Spain, Guatemala, Honduras, Italy, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Uruguay and Venezuela)
Applicants must read the RAW Regulations carefully before submitting their projects.
Calls are open for three fellowships. To submit a project, applicants must fill in the online form and send us the following materials until June 1st:
- A project dossier in English, Portuguese or Spanish (pdf format, max. 4 pages), with the following content:
- treatment (short version)
- project development stage
- estimated duration
- director’s note
- directors(s) biography
- production company presentation (if applicable)
- links to former work (if applicable)
Please note: only dossiers up to 4 pages will be considered.
- Motivation Letter
- Provisional Budget and Financing Plan including information of
- Between 2 and 4 stills
- Other material considered relevant by the participant(s) (film script, research material…)
- For projects in the editing stage, applicants must also send a link to the work-in-progress (subtitled in English)
- Copy of passport or ID card
Critic and Research Residencies
Calls are open for two fellowships (the organization reserves the right to select a third project). To submit a project, applicants must fill in the online form and send us the following materials until June 1st:
- Academic and professional CV
- Presentation of a previous work whose subject is linked to spaces and / or filmmakers of
- non-fiction cinema
- Motivation Letter, stating the reasons of your submission and interest in RAW programme, as well as an indication of what the expectations are.
- Copy of passport or ID card
For more information, please contact:
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Apordoc is monitoring the evolving situation associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, following public health guidelines, and working towards our expectations of keeping the normal schedule of activities.